Thursday, October 16, 2008

How to Find Your New Best Friend

When I hear someone talking about wanting to get a dog from a breeder, I always interject with my usual "Forget the breeder! Adopt!" lecture. One of the most common responses I get is, "Oh, but I want a [insert breed name here]. I've had [breed name] my entire life and that's what I want!" Well, my friends, there is a better option. It's called petfinder.com. Petfinder is an online directory of virtually all adoptable animals currently at shelters, rescue groups and fosters. The site also allows users to search animals by breed, age, size, and gender. So, if dachshunds are your thing, you don't have to go to a breeder. You can locate one at a nearby animal shelter or find a breed-specific rescue organization. By adopting, you're no longer contributing to pet overpopulation, but instead ameliorating the situation and saving lives.



Petfinder also works for people seeking specific breeds of rabbit. It's hard to not take home all the cute little baby bunnies you see at pet stores, but we must resist supporting this abusive industry. There are many, many rabbits available at shelters, looking for loving homes. Stay away from pet stores and adopt!

No comments: